- A possible forward for the Wicca and Divorce Book
- Making it Personal
- Resources on Witchcraft Claims in Custody Cases
- The Wicca and Divorce book
- Handparting book project gets mention on Runesoup
- The first draft is done!
- More progress on Divorcing a Real Witch
- More updates on the Wicca and Divorce Book
- Divorcing a Real Witch: Update
- A short update on Divorcing a Real Witch, and Pagan values month
- Divorcing a Real Witch intensive survey: beta testers needed!
- The next phase of Divorcing a Real Witch
- The survey is up – please, PLEASE spread the word to divorced neopagans you know
- Survey extended
- Why the liability release on the divorce survey was removed
- Divorce and Wicca Survey: a new approach
- How The pagan conversion experience is a lot like divorce
- Why I’m writing about divorce
- The Wife as an Entity
- Divorce: So what did your parents say?
- The 21 Year Old Divorcee
- The Affair
- Divorce at School
- Gay marriage, gay divorce
- Irrationality and Divorce
There are two admonishments that have accompanied the creation of Divorcing a Real Witch:
1)Don’t forget the children
2)Don’t forget same sex couples.
Same sex marriages can also end in divorce. Straight or gay, we have the same somatic cues built into us, have the same ability to love or hurt our partners and have the same issues going in and out of marriages.
The added complication to this is that while more states legalize same sex marriage, those same states are not legalizing same sex divorce.
As gay marriage becomes increasingly legalized, I do think what will happen is this: 50% of the marriages will fail.
Because 50% of all marriages fail – and marital failure does not always mean divorce. This marital failure rate is used by some parties as an excuse to harken back to “good old days” that were really quite dreadful. This failure rate continued even in places like Alabama that attempted to make divorce illegal. Along with hideous messes involving inheritance, bastards, and mistresses, the murder rates skyrocketed. Once Alabama allowed divorce again, its overall mortality rate improved.
Divorce, whether for couples gay or straight, is a necessary safety valve on society.
I would hate to see someone exploiting the circumstances created by denying same sex couples the right to divorce to “demonstrate” through false circumstances that same sex relationships are more violent than heterosexual relationships. The statistics – including the probability of violence and the factors that contribute to violent behavior – remain the same. Sexual orientation does not factor into that.
So as we draft these laws allowing full human rights, let’s be thorough. Remember the children. Remember the gays, and their right to marry and divorce. Remember what’s needed to keep mortality rates low.